Cable Risk Assessment
Electrical incidents and injuries that occur in an office environment are usually the result of faulty or defective equipment, unsafe installation, or misuse of equipment like extension cords, power strips and surge protectors. Regularly inspect electrical cables to ensure they are not frayed, cracked or otherwise damaged. Damaged wires and cables can cause electric shocks and present a fire hazard. Any electrical cables, power cords or extension cords that are damaged, or are not functioning properly, should be removed from service immediately. This includes any electrical cords that are frayed or have exposed wires, even if they still seem to be working. Electrical cables and extension cords can easily become trip and fall hazards if not routed carefully. Keep all cords close to a wall and away from foot traffic to prevent tripping and cord damage. Do not use an extension cord or a power strip with portable heaters or fans, which could cause cords to overheat and result in a fire. These devices should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Extension cords should only be used on a temporary basis, they are not meant to be a permanent solution to a shortage of electrical outlets. Do not use indoor extension cords on outdoor projects. Do not use multiple extension cords connected together, use a longer extension cord instead. Store extension cords indoors when not in use.
Overloaded circuit warning signs
Flickering, blinking or dimming lights.
Warm or discolored outlet wall plates
Burning odor coming from outlets, wall switches or equipment
Frequently tripped circuit breakers or blown fuses.
Cracking, sizzling, or buzzing coming from an outlet.
Mild shock or tingle from equipment, outlets or switches
If you notice any of the following hazards, report immediately.
Electrical cables that are frayed, damaged, kinked or have exposed wires.
Rattling plugs or loose outlets.
Electrical equipment, outlets or switches that give off a strange or burning odor.
Equipment that seems to be overheating or is hot to the touch.
Overloaded outlets or power strips.
Missing or damaged light switch or outlet face plates.
Equipment that is not working properly.
Extension cords that have been in use for an extended period and haven’t been replaced by a more permanent, safer solution.