NOC Pollution Control Board
CTO (Consent to Operate) is required for running an industry dealing with pollutants and hazardous wastes. Therefore it is crucial to renew the licence for consent to operate from NOC Pollution Control Board. There is a separate CTO for different forms of industries. Such industries would include the water and the air industry. Usually, the requisite consent to operate from the NOC pollution control board is obtained under the Water Act, 1974 and Air Act, 1981. Apart from this, the industry must comply with the rules related to authorisation under the Hazardous & Other Waste (Management & Transboundary Movement) Rules, 2016.
The manufacturer has to go to the requisite NOC pollution control board in order to secure this form of consent to operate. However, any form of manufacturing industry or any other commercial establishment would also require securing this consent to operate before starting operations.
If the above consent expires after a particular period of time, then the entrepreneur has to mandatorily file the renewal of the NOC pollution control board. Under different forms of environmental laws, Consent to Operate (CTO) is required for production and manufacturing activities. To secure consent to operate licence, the proprietor of the industry must submit the required permits with the fees and the CTO FORM.
Types of NOC Pollution Control Board
Consent to Establish
Consent to Establish is known as the CTE. This form of consent is required from the authority in order to establish or carry out any manufacturing industries. This is something related to the primary permission from the requisite authority to operate any form of air/water or noise pollution industry.
Consent to Operate
The second form of consent is known as the consent to operate (CTO). This consent would be required in order to ensure that the industry is maintaining standards related to operation. All industries require this form of consent to operate.
Category of Industries under NOC pollution Control Board
White Category Industries
Air coolers /conditioners, Bicycles, baby carriages, Bailing of waste papers, Bio fertilizer /bio-pesticides, Biscuits trays.
Red Category Industries
Interestingly, industries like integrated automobile manufacturing, airports and commercial air strips, and milk & dairy products are included in the ‘Red’ category.
Orange Category Industries
Fish processing and packing, Foam manufacturing, Food & food processing including fruits and vegetable processing, Forging of ferrous & non-ferrous metal.
Green Category Industries
Agriculture and natural resource conservation, clean transportation and fuels, Increased energy efficiency, Pollution prevention or environmental cleanup.
Documents Required for NOC Pollution Control Board
- Layout plan of the industry or the manufacturer and the sources related to effluent sewage treatment and emissions must be mentioned along with the layout plan
- Information on the DG set with the amount of capacity must also be mentioned
- Sheet Showing Information related to process flow
- Analysis report relating to solid waste, effluent, hazardous wastes and fuel gases
- Information on the instruments related to the concerned water control pollution board and the air control pollution board
- Quality Report of the Air Effluents
- No Objection Certificate
- Information related to Chemical Reactions
- Fee Related to Consent. A demand draft must be drawn in favour of the respective pollution control body
- Copy of the Environmental Clearance Certificate from the Government of India. This would only be required if the manufacturer is making the first consent to operate
- Calculations related to water budget
- Diagrammatic Representation of the Monitoring Facility
- Emission Analysis Reports
- Cess Applicable to the Water Industry if applicable.The above documents would be applicable to all industries operating in the respective sector: air, water and other categories.