UV light is nature’s disinfectant and it can kill Coronavirus also
Sanitizers, social distancing, frequent hand washing are the good practices for controlling the spread of CORONA virus, but once the factories or workshops start working there is no system for disinfecting/sanitizing the PPE`s like Gloves, Helmets, face shields, Goggles, safety belts, harness, and daily use accessories, etc. Since these PPE`s supportive accessories come in direct contact with the persons working in factories, it can result spread of CORONA VIRUS, even if these equipment issued to individuals.
After weighing the different solutions, UV rays are found to be a practicable solution.
How UV light kills Viruses
- COVID – 19 commonly known as CORONA is a Virus which does not reproduce on their own, but they do have genetic material, either Virus burst out of the infected cell (this form of reproduction is called the lytic cycle), while others merge into the infected cell, reproducing every time that cell divides (lysogenic).
- Sunlight contains UV rays and it causes sunburn and also kills Viruses. UV light can damage DNA. A DNA molecule is made of two strands bound together by four bases, adenine (A), cytosine (C), guanine (G), and thymine (T). These bases are like an alphabet, and their sequence forms instructions for cells to reproduce.
- UV light can cause thymine bases to fuse together, scrambling the DNA sequence, and essentially throwing a wrench into the machinery. Since the DNA sequence is no longer correct, it can no longer replicate properly. This is how UV light annihilates viruses, by destroying their ability to reproduce.
Will it work on the coronavirus?
- COVID-19 is a new breed, and as such, there is a dearth of studies on its resistance to UV. That hasn’t stopped people from rolling out UV devices to thwart the virus, however. Companies that produce UV devices are seeing a notable boost in sales, and hospitals are using UV-equipped robots to disinfect hospital rooms; even face masks are getting UV treatment.
- We can look to previous coronaviruses, such as SARS and MERS, for insight. Studies on both SARS and MERS show that UV light could inactivate the viruses, so it’s not unreasonable to expect that it will have a similar effect on COVID-19.
- A particular spectrum of ultraviolet light, far UV-C, “efficiently inactivates bacteria without harm to exposed mammalian skin,” according to a study published in Nature. “This is because, due to its strong absorbance in biological materials, far-UVC light cannot penetrate even the outer (nonliving) layers of human skin or eye; however, because bacteria and viruses are of a micrometer or smaller dimensions, far-UVC can penetrate and inactivate them.”
- Research like this Nature study shows that far-UVC lamps can eradicate even airborne viruses without harming people, and so we can imagine a world in which walking through airport security or entering a hospital involves passing through a UV decontamination chamber.
We in Eco Safetech have developed equipment with hi quality, low wavelength UVC lamps which are capable to kill all viruses and bacteria and the PPE`s kept in these equipment for a short period can disinfect PPE`s.
For further information please contact
Arun Kumar Srivastava